Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Yummy Monday - Almond, Asparagus, Spinach Salad

Bret's Almond, Asparagus, Spinach Salad: Prep Time - 10 minutes

1 Bag pre-washed Spinach salad (remove the stems)
1/2 cup raw almond slivers
1/2 cup dried cranberries
7 Medium stalk asparagus
Low-fat or non-fat Raspberry Vinegrette

Directions:
(You migh want to consider avoiding bag spinach that comes out of California until this E-coli scare is figured out.) Next, remove the stems from your spinach. Over medium heat, skillet toast almonds (no oil needed) turning frequently until all turn a light brown. Now, add Asparagus to boiling water for 3 to 4 minutes until "fork tender", but not mushy! Be careful not to over cook! Drain and dice into 1 to 2 inch pieces. Now mix all ingrediants and coat lightly with dressing. Makes 2 large dinner size salads or 4 smaller servings.

I love this salad. Something about the Asparagus gives this a hearty meal kinda of feel that's often missing from vegetarian salads. I've also found some really yuumy fat-free Raspberry vinegrette dressings. Deeeeeee-lish!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chalene,
I tried this salad last night and it was awesome! Of course I gotta have my protein so I had a grilled chicken breast on the side and it made it even better. I would love to see more healthy recipes with asparagus!!!